Note: Call for Proposals is closed.
Aim and Topics
In the year when the Serbian Library Association (SLA) marks seven decades of its work (1947–2017), it organizes the 14th conference with international participation dedicated to the questions of advocacy, promotion and lobbying on behalf of libraries and library and information activities.
The SLA conference will gather librarians and stakeholders from the country and abroad, who will present successful stories, fulfilled and envisioned projects, realized and planned initiatives and strategies. Inspired by the title of the book written by the famous author Haruki Murakami (What I Talk About When I Talk About Running), we want to explore practical examples, steps, preparation and everyday experience, but also to discover the most desirable partners for advocating and lobbying on behalf of libraries, and define the target audience for the promotion of libraries in the 21st century with the aim of recognizing their values and obtaining a better position for them.
- Visibility of libraries in the media and community
- Skills and knowledge we need for advocacy
- The role of libraries in the United Nations Agenda UN 2030 and society development
- How do the different types of libraries support the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)?
- Library statistics for the effective storytelling and performance
- Budget and financing: do we have an alternative?
- The role of library associations in advocating, lobbying and promotion
- Partnerships and networking
- Methods of communication with decision-makers
- Campaigns, activism and social media
- Multimedia and innovative tools
- Library users as advocates
- Communication strategy, public relations and marketing
- Training programs, workshops and forums
The matters of interest for the conference are all sorts of projects or initiatives that introduced significant acts of advocacy, promotion or lobbying on behalf of libraries, but also the methods of how the ideas could be presented to those who make decisions or whose impact can lead to a positive outcome: representatives of the library founders, cities and municipalities, ministries, other cultural institutions, the public, civil sector, non-governmental organizations, professional associates, other factors in the country and abroad. Apart from the experiences shared among librarians, it is desirable to hear out library partners as well as observations on library initiatives of the representatives from other professions like marketing, public relations, management etc.
Within the 14th SLA conference, both the pre-conference focusing on advocacy and special meeting of the SLA on the occasion of the Association’s Jubilee (1947–2017) will be held, when the SLA will hand out its letters of thanks and rewards.
Format and Submission of Papers
The official languages of the conference are Serbian and English, with simultaneous interpretation.
The conference will cover three types of papers: professional papers (full texts), short presentations of the best practice (PechaKucha) and poster presentations.
We invite all interested authors to send abstracts both in Serbian and English up to 300 words, with contact information, professional affiliations and information on format (whether it is a professional paper, short presentation or a poster) to the address firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 September 2017.
The authors of the accepted papers for the conference will be informed by 15 October 2017. Proceedings of the selected papers from the conference will be printed in 2018.